February 2015 Board Action
Legislation Committee Receives Status Report on the Budget
Today the Legislation Committee received a status report on the budget by UL System Vice President for External Affairs Rachel Kincaid. Although higher education did not receive a mid-year cut, Kincaid reported it could be facing a $400 million cut in the Governor's budget that comes out this Friday. "The anticipated cuts to higher education are going to be unprecedented, but the administration and legislators are looking at several options to backfill those cuts," she said. Those solutions could be a combination of tax rebates, autonomies, and rasing tuition and fees.
"Our position is we cannot afford to go back (on funding) at all. I do believe there are enough solutions out there to make this possible; we just have to make sure higher education continues to be a priority," said UL System President Woodley.
The UL System launched a budget section on its website (www.ulsystem.edu/Budget) that includes historical budget information, frequently asked questions, and messages specific to students, faculty and staff, as well as business leaders.
Board Members Attend Board of Regents Trusteeship Conference
Board Chair E.G. "T-Boy" Hebert reported the UL System had strong participation at Monday's Trusteeship Conference hosted by the Louisiana Board of Regents. Hebert was particularly impressed with remarks made by Belle Wheelan, President of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), on the top 10 issues facing higher education and the role of board members. He further reported the potential cuts to higher education were the main focus of the day with two panels of system and legislative leaders discussing their perspectives.
"The budget situation was certainly the most talked about topic, and it is clear that all of higher education must continue to stand united if we are to be successful this Legislative Session," said Hebert.
Nicholls State University Presents Strategic Decision Making Process
At today's Strategy & Performance Committee meeting, Nicholls State University President Bruce Murphy shared his university's business approach to strategic planning. The framework is structured to take a comprehensive and critical look at how the university operates, unite all constituencies under one vision with specific goals, and prioritize limited resources to support the university's priorities.
"If everyone understands the vision, they will work independently to support that vision," said Murphy. "We have built a strategy map that identifies the goals that support our vision and identifies champions responsible for moving each goal forward. You may never see this in a glossy book format because, in order to be effective, it must remain a fluid process."
"Nicholls has created a process whereby remedies that solve problems get priority funding. This is the best process I have ever seen on how you strategically fund your priorities," said UL System President Sandra Woodley.
Grambling Search Update
The Grambling State University Presidential Search Committee met today to receive a report from its search firm, The Hollins Group, and discuss the tentative timeline. Consultants Lawrence Hollins and Allen Sessoms reported they sent out 245 letters to potential applicants, received 21 inquiries or nominations, and have 37 completed applications. Of the 37, 35 have a doctoral degree (including two with a juris doctorate), two are current presidents, four are former presidents, 14 are vice presidents, and six are women. The UL System's presidential search process calls for all applications to go through the search firm. Applicants do not become official candidates until the firm presents its recommended candidates to the committee.
The consultants stated the candidates best suited for Grambling are actively employed in the higher education sector and are the most hesitant to become public candidates until there is further clarity on Louisiana's higher education financial future. They recommended the search committee wait or risk losing the strongest candidates. "Right now we are looking for a leader who can take the university forward. If the cuts outlined by the Governor on Friday are retained, you will be looking for a different kind of leader," said Hollins.
No vote was taken on the tentative timeline. UL System President and Search Chair Sandra Woodley stated the ultimate goal is still to have a new Grambling president in place before the fall semester, and that we will wait until April when the session begins to see if there is enough clarity to expedite the process. "It is everyone's goal to select a new president as quickly as possible, but that cannot come at the expense of having the best pool of candidates," said Woodley.
Other Board Action
ACADEMIC AND STUDENT AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
- Grambling request for approval to award an Honorary Doctor of Business to Mr. Charles Guidry at the Spring Commencement Exercises.
- Grambling request for approval to award an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters to Mr. Henry "Hank" Aaron at the Spring Commencement Exercises.
- McNeese request for approval to offer online an existing academic program: Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership with concentrations in Educational Leadership and Educational Technology Leadership effective Summer 2015.
- Nicholls request for approval to terminate the Post Master Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner and the Post Master Certificate in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
- Nicholls request for approval of the University's Revised Statements of Vision and Mission.
- UNO request for approval to award an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters honoris causa to Dr. Gordon H. "Nick" Mueller at the Spring Commencement Exercises.
- UNO request for approval related to the Discontinuance/Review of the Master of Arts in Political Science and Master of Arts in Romance Languages.
- UNO request for approval of a Proposal for the Creation of a School of the Arts.
REPORT OF ATHLETIC COMMITTEE
- McNeese request for approval of a contract with Ms. Ashleigh M. Fitzgerald, Head Women's Volleyball Coach, effective March 1, 2015.
- McNeese request for approval of a contract with Mr. Ronald P. Savoie, Jr., Head Women's Soccer Coach, effective March 1, 2015.
- Nicholls request for approval of a contract with Mr. Tim Rebowe, Head Football Coach, effective January 6, 2015.
- Southeastern request for approval of an amendment to a contract with Mr. Chet Pobolish, Football Offensive Coordinator, effective October 1, 2014.
- Southeastern request for approval of an amendment to a contract with Mr. Karl Scott, Football Defensive Coordinator, effective October 1, 2014.
- ULM request for approval of an amendment to a contract with Mr. Todd Berry, Head Football Coach, effective January 1, 2014.
- UL System request for approval of a Resolution to join the NCAA Joint Defense re Samantha Sackos vs. National Collegiate Athletic Association et al., Civic Action No. 14-1710, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
REPORT OF FACILITIES PLANNING COMMITTEE
- LA Tech request for approval to enter into a Lease Agreement between the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System with and on behalf of Louisiana Tech University and T.J. Pearce & Company, Inc.
- Southeastern informational notice to design, construct, demolish, and replace a portion of the University's Student Housing Program and expansion of certain ancillary building(s) utilizing a 501(c)3, not-for-profit corporation.
- ULM request for approval to enter into a Ground Lease Agreement with ULM Facilities Inc., a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation, to construct a new Field House facility at Malone Stadium Football Field and accept donation of improvements to the University.
REPORT OF FINANCE COMMITTEE
- Grambling request for approval to enter into an Affiliation Agreement with the Grambling High Foundation.
- Grambling request for approval to enter into an Affiliation Agreement with the Grambling High Alumni Association, Inc.
- McNeese request for approval to place referenda on student self-assessed fees regarding Safety and Rodeo on a student ballot.
- Northwestern request for approval to place a referendum on student self-assessed fees on a student ballot.
- Southeastern request for approval to split the Edward G. Schiedler Foundation Endowed SLU Environmental Studies Chair into four Super Professorships: Edward G. Schlieder Foundation Professorship of Environmental Studies and Sustainability #1; Edward G. Schlieder Foundation Professorship of Environmental Studies and Sustainability #2; Edward G. Schlieder Foundation Professorship of Environmental Studies and Sustainability #3; Edward G. Schlieder Foundation Professorship of Environmental Studies and Sustainability #4.
- UNO request for approval to change the University's Summer Tuition Schedule.
- UNO request for approval of a resolution granting authority for the issuance of an aggregate principal amount of not to exceed $2,990,000 of BoS for the UL System Revenue Refunding Bonds.
- UL System request for approval to establish LEQSF (8g) Endowed Professorships/Chairs/First Generation Scholarships as follows:
- Clyde O. Wilson and Emma C. Wilson Endowed Professorship in the College of Education
- Clyde O. Wilson and Emma C. Wilson Endowed Professorship in the College of Education
- LA Tech
- LA Tech
- Contractors' Educational Trust Professorship in Engineering #3
- Contractors' Educational Trust Professorship in Engineering #4
- CITGO Petroleum Professorship in Engineering #8
- Thomas D. Watson History Professorship
- Denis and Linda Hussers Professorship
- Cheniere Professorship in Engineering
- Leslie Richard First Generation Scholarship #1
- Leslie Richard First Generation Scholarship #2
- Leslie Richard First Generation Scholarship #3
- Leslie Richard First Generation Scholarship #4
- Leslie Richard First Generation Scholarship #5
- Leslie Richard First Generation Scholarship #6
- The Michael C. and Christine P. Bourgeois Endowed First Generation Undergraduate Scholarship
- The Joe and Gina Sanford Family Endowed First Generation Undergraduate Scholarship
- The Mitch Hebert Endowed First Generation Undergraduate Scholarship
- Anonymous Distinguished Endowed Professorship in Education
- Deborah D. Olds Endowed Professorship in Nursing (Willis-Knighton Health Care System Endowed Professorship #9)
- Joyce Marie Hooper Endowed Professorship in Radiologic Sciences (Willis-Knighton Health Care System Endowed Professorship #10)
- Richard A. deVargas, Andres LaCaze and Dr. William Henry Pierson Endowed Professorship in Business
- Dr. Violet Davion Shaver Endowed Professorship in Health and Human Performance
- Ted Joanen Professorship in Business
- J.W. McClimans Professorship in Mathematics
- J.W. McClimans Professorship in Computer Science or Engineering Technology
- Stan and Suzanne St. Pierre First Generation Endowed Scholarship
- Melissa Clair and Cheryl Ann Acosta Memorial First Generation Endowed Scholarship
- UL Lafayette
- Dr. John A. & Priscilla Babineaux Cadwell First Generation Scholarship in Engineering
- Frank J. Culotta, Jr. MD First Generation Scholarship in Biology/Chemistry
- James D. Moncus Graduate School Scholarship
- B.W. Biedenharn Endowed Chair in Business
- Willis-Knighton Health System Professorship in Nursing Honoring Helen Mena
- Willis-Knighton Health System Professorship in Pharmacy
- Iberia Bank Endowed Professorship of Distinction
- Regions Bank Endowed Professorship in Accounting
- Freddy & Reba Nolan Endowed Professorship in Business Analytics
- Elizabeth & Haydn Cutler Endowed Professorship in Biotechnology
- Joann & Miles Sager, Jr. Endowed Professorship in Computer Information Systems
- Francesca & C.D. Oakley, Jr. Endowed Professorship in Academic Innovation Center
- Doll & Henry Biedenharn, Jr. Endowed Professorship in Communication
- Mary Goss Charities First Generation Undergraduate Scholarship "A"
- Mary Goss Charities First Generation Undergraduate Scholarship "B"
- Michael H. Woods First Generation Undergraduate Endowed Scholarship "A"
- Trish Hollis Professorship in Fine Arts
- Raphael Cassimere, Jr. Professorship in African-American History
- Gordon "Nick" Mueller Professorship in Public History
- Robert W. Merrick First Generation Scholarship
- UL System request for approval of payments made by nonprofit organizations to employees of the University of Louisiana System during Fiscal Year 2014 in accordance with provision of Louisiana Revised Statute (R.S.) 17:3390(F).
REPORT OF PERSONNEL COMMITTEE
- Nicholls request for approval to appoint Mr. David Zerangue as Interim Dean of University College effective February 2, 2015.
- UL Lafayette request for approval to appoint Mr. John Blohm as Vice President for University Advancement effective January 1, 2015.
- UL Lafayette request for approval to appoint Dr. Mary Farmer-Kaiser as Dean of the Graduate School effective January 1, 2015.
- UL Lafayette request for approval to appoint Ms. Margarita Perez as Dean of Students effective January 14, 2015.
- UL Lafayette request for approval to appoint Dr. Gwen Fontenot as Interim Dean of the B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration effective January 1, 2015.
- UNO request for approval to appoint Dr. William Sharpton as Interim Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs effective January 5, 2015.
- UNO request for approval to appoint Dr. John Nicklow as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs effective July 1, 2015.
- UNO request for approval to appoint Dr. Emir Macari as Dean of the College of Engineering effective January 15, 2015.
To watch the archived web broadcast visit www.streaming2.louisiana.gov and click on "Content Tree" and Select "UL System"
FOR MORE INFORMATIONContact: Cami Geisman
225.219.0270 | Cami.Geisman@la.gov