Board Composition & Authority
The members of the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System are appointed by the Governor with the consent of the Senate. Each member serves staggered terms of six years, except the student member who serves a one-year term. Annually, the Board elects a chair and vice-chair from its membership.
The constitution designated East Baton Rouge Parish as the domicile of the Board of Supervisors of the University of Louisiana System. The legislation further stated that the location could not be changed except by statute.
The Board of Supervisors employs a full- time staff whose responsibility, under the supervision of a President, is to execute and enforce all decisions, orders, rules and regulations of the Board with respect to the conduct of the System.
The Board of Supervisors is mandated to exercise all power to direct, control, supervise and manage the institution of higher learning under its control, including but not limited to the following:
- Select the Presidents of System institutions
- Receive and expend or allocate for expenditure to the System institutions all monies appropriated or otherwise made available for the purpose of the Board and universities
- Determine the fees which shall be paid by students
- Purchase land and purchase or construct buildings necessary for the use of the universities within the System
- Formulate curricula and programs of study
- Adopt, amend and repeal rules and regulations necessary for the business of the Board, for the governance of the System colleges and universities and for the governance and discipline of students
- Lease land or other property belonging to it or to any college or university within the System, as well as, sell or exchange land or other property not needed for university purposes
- Actively seek and accept donations, bequests, or other forms of financial assistance for educational purposes